Saturday, September 29, 2007

update on stocks not bought

Over the last couple of months I researched many many stocks and commented on most of them here in the blog -- I even wrote up long descriptions of why I liked the stocks and probably made it sound like I was either buying or about to be buying them. Instead, most of the time, I would just move on to the next story and not buy anything -- until I got to FLIR. Which I have bought a small position in and am hoping to buy more at more attractive prices.

One of the first stocks I reviewed was Ecolab (ECL) -- it was in the low $40s and selling at a discounted valuation vs. its history. fundamentals seemed fine so this looked like a good time to get in -- no real catalyst that could get the stock moving soon but often its hard to spot them ahead of time -- hard enough to pick a winner let alone picking the timing of it.

Sure enough ECL is now $47 -- new all time highs and up from a recent low around $41. Not bad for a few weeks work. Not uncommon either for me to have a strong return in a stock I have chosen not to buy. that's one reason I mention them all -- perhaps the story will sound interesting to you and after your own due diligence, you might decide its more attractive then I give the stock credit for and choose to buy in. great for you. I can't own them all. I am very happy with FLIR but it would be nice to own some ECL too -- now it dawns on me that maybe ECL would have been a better choice than GGG given all the icky news about housing but oh well.

Interesting that ADBE -- another stock I have mentioned but did not buy -- had great earnings yet the stock has been flat to down since I mentioned it -- hmmm.... as the chartists say its not the news that matters but the market's reaction (it seems the market expected good results).

IHS had great earnings and the stock popped from the low $50's to the $57 range. Not bad. again, I am very happy with FLIR.

No comments: